Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Taming the Pantry Dragon

Organizing the pantry can be a daunting task.  I know.  New items quickly get put away.  Other items get shoved in the back or under/atop other items--only to be found long after they've expired.

In light of the recent "grumpy old woman" story circulating on Facebook: http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/intelligent-energy/grumpy-old-womans-energy-tips/16315, I didn't rush out and buy new plastic, see-through, pop-up storage containers.  After all, how "green" would that be if I removed food from plastic bags to put in new plastic containers??  Not to say I wouldn't absolutely LOVE the uniform look;).  What I've been doing for a while is recycling jars instead of tossing them in the trash.  

I should have taken a before picture--and a picture of my trash bag from unused, expired items--so you could get a better appreciation, but I didn't think I would be blogging about my pantry.  My intent was to save time and money--and be a better steward.  Thanks Judith for suggesting I post a blog!

So here you go...nothing fancy, but the beginning of a little "green" pantry organizing none-the-less.

Growing up, my dad taught me many things...most importantly:  to be responsible.  He taught me to turn off the light before exiting a room--and I still do this today--often times even in public places before I catch myself.  He taught me to NOT be wasteful of food and resources; I've slipped a bit recently on this one--at least in the food category;).

Thank you for important lessons, dad.  I miss you.  And, thank you for the spirited reminder anonymous, "grumpy old woman."

Our generation is blessed with abundance...we must become better stewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment